Generally, powder coating may be regarded as an environmentally favored method of applying a finish particularly as it avoids the use of solvent-based paints avoids overspray wastage, and any unused powder may be fully recycled and used again.
Although powder coating was conceived as a method of finishing metal, technology has evolved so that it is now a common choice for ceramics, plastics, and even wood.
Research shows that powder coating is the fastest-growing coating medium and with the environmental advantages coupled with its excellent finishing properties, it is a trend that is likely to continue. If you want to get more information you can search on powder coating in Westlake Village via https://www.thediamondautosalon.com/powder-coating
What are the disadvantages of Powder Coating
- Very thin coatings can show pinholes
- Very frequent color changes can be time-consuming
- Inside corners can have a low film thickness
- Can be tricky on sharp corners
- Needs the expertise to maintain uniformity of thickness
- Colour matching and uniformity can be harder than with liquid paints
What are the advantages of Powder Coating?
- Environmentally friendly – no solvents required
- Finishes are tough and flexible making it harder to chip or crack
- Generally gives a 100% solid coating
- Almost no waste produced
- Massive range of colors and finishes
- Rust free
- Can be applied over a wide range of thicknesses
- Can produce thick coatings without running or sagging
- Special effects are easily accomplished
- Fast turnaround times
- Protection against external UV fading
- Exceptional color retention
- Excellent electrical insulation capabilities
- Resistant to most chemicals and solvents
Powder Coating; whilst being an economical system; not only completes the desired aesthetic qualities of the product but also offers excellent durability and resistance to scratches and chemical corrosion, even in the harshest environments.
By using this system, powders are immediately ready for use and do not require mixing, which eliminates variables in the finish, reduces processing time, and results in superior film properties.